This pretty much wraps up my posts regarding 2007 interactive holiday promotions. The most popular post I wrote appears to be the post on the OfficeMax Elf Yourself Holiday Promotion which has gotten quite a bit of traffic just on my blog. After I wrote the post I was contacted by Beth at EVB, the San Francisco based digital content marketing agency behind Elf Yourself and Scrooge Yourself, who collaborated with partner agency Toy NY.
Beth informed me that Elf Yourself has now become the most viral campaign on record. It’s been spreading rapidly since it was launched on November 20th and the numbers continue to climb.They’re hoping it will reach 100M before they take the site down. Here are some statistics Beth shared with me that cover a three week period, up to Dec. 13th:
Elf Yourself 2007 Statistics (three weeks-11/20/07 to 12/13/07)
– Over 74 million people have visited site
– Over 50 million people have created "elves"
– 40 elves are being created per second
– Users have spent a combined 950 years on website
– Top 10 "Movers & Shakers" site on Alexa rankings
– Featured on CNN American Morning & ABC World News
Compare this year’s promotion to last year when it first launched:
Elf Yourself 2006 Statistics (five weeks – 12/1/06 to 1/7/07)
– Over 36 million visits to site
– Over 11 million elves created (41,000 per hour at its peak)
– Over 79,000 MySpace hits
– Users spent a combined equivalent of 600 years on the site
– Fastest mover on the Alexa rankings, reaching 267 most visited site
– #2 on Entertainment Weekly "Must List"
– Over 100 User created videos on YouTube
– Over 2 million Google search results
So if you’re one of the very few who haven’t "Elfed Themselves" or haven’t seen someone who has, you better get over to the site now before it’s gone for another year. Those that I’ve shared my elf with thought it was hilarious and either elfed themselves or passed it on. So the question now is, what will they do to top this next year?